far far away

Thursday, February 17, 2005

I'm here!

Okay, I've been here for a while. Spent a few days in Sydney when I first arrived, and have been in Canberra for 2 weeks (to the day). It's nice here... fairly warm, it's quiet, and reminds me lots of Waterloo - without the smell of poo!

Stuff's been pretty hectic. My mom came over with me, and stayed for about two weeks. She was surprisingly very maternal. She paid for things all over the place, and made sure I had everything I'd need, pretty much. It's so weird to have a mom again, after so many years.

She left Saturday morning, so I'm on my own now. Well, sorta. I live in a flat with 4 other girls (Shirin, Jessica, Kellie, and Veronica). They're all Aussies, all have cars, and are great so far. We get along quite well, and they've decided to all be my mommies, and teach me the Australian way.

I get homesick here and there. It's not too bad though. Honestly, it feels just like Canada. I just don't have any of the people I love here. And it's not like I can pick up at any moment and visit home. I only get teary-eyed when I think about how far everyone/everything is.

Oh!!! Everything here is SO EXPENSIVE too! A doughnut was $2.50, and people actually bought them! I refuse to pay that much for a doughnut - and they only had one flavour. A Sydney-stylized venti-sized ceramic Starbucks mug cost $20. And they don't have pennies here! The smallest denomination is 5 cents. And it's not that prices all end in 0 or 5 cents, they end in 99cents or whatever, like back home, they just ROUND the price up/down to the nearest 5 cents, and charge you that. Apparently pennies became too complicated. What a crazy place!

So I've gone through a week of Orientation, and I'm almost through a week of classes. It's gonna be a busy busy life. I apologize in advance if I don't keep in touch as best as I should, but please don't forget me. I'll be home!!

Write me! Call me!

Burgmann College
GPO 1345
Canberra, ACT, 2601
Australia

1 Comments:

Blogger Kenric L. said...

Glad to see you're updating! ;)

February 18, 2005 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home