far far away

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Some pictures

Janice advised me to set up a Flickr account a while ago, and I've just uploaded some pictures to it now - so I'm gonna try to get them up here.

Whoa! Okay, I don't think I did it right (I loaded it up from my thumb drive instead of accessing Flickr), but it's here!!

This is a picture from my trip to Melbourne. There's this place about 1 hr from the city called Phillip Island. People go there to watch the little fairy penguins come to shore at sunset. They're so cute!! They just waddle a lot. Actually, some of them were kinda frustrating. Cuz they come out of the water, waddle a little, then turn around and run back into the waves to body surf. You're kinda like, "Get your little butt out of the water! I'm tired of waiting for you to come in - it's cold." But they're pretty cute when then do that, so you let it go.

Anyhoo, these fake penguins are in the giftshop for $35. I really wanted to get one, but couldn't justify the purchase. What am I gonna do with another stuff toy? So these ones are wearing little sweaters, just like some of the real penguins do. See, when there's an oil spill, some of the penguins get the sticky stuff all over them. As part of their rehab, they wear the little sweaters that volunteers have knitted for them. Ahhh!! So cute!

Hmmm... let's see if I can get another photo up.

Score! Okay, this one is from the parking lot at Phillip Island. And our driver that night, Jess, did in fact check under her car for a penguin before getting in. There were no (known) casualties that night.


This whole picture thing is a lot of work!

On the left is me with (one of) my birthday cake(s). I felt so bad asking people to come out for dinner that night, cuz my birthday happened to be less than a week before our exam. Still, a fair number were troopers, and helped me finish off that massive cheesecake. Btw, cheesecake here isn't as good as it is at home. The stuff here is very light and fluffy, not enough solid cheese. I may have to make one to show them the real way.

The picture on the right is from another night, though I think I'm wearing the same thing - I have a very limited wardrobe here! The happy bunch (with one missing) is my PBL group from first semester. PBLs are the tutorial groups we're put in to work on case studies. This was our farewell get-together. It was a really good group, and I was afraid of what my new group would be like, but I lucked out and got a decent one. That night I drank more than I have in a long time, it was a fun night. Look at those characters... I can't believe we're all gonna be doctors one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home