Dropping by for an update, because apparently I don't write enough!
Today was hospital day again. It was great! We're doing our reproductive block, so we covered pregnancy and menopause. I've been thinking of going into obstetrics, it's probably my top choice right now, so it was good to get some exposure. In the morning we had a pregnant lady. And we even got to see her ultrasound. I almost cried. Not that I want a baby now, or anything like that. I just felt so priviledged to take part in such an intimite encounter.
So obstetrics is still up there for me. I'm not too sure how I am on the gynecology part, but the lifestyle is really difficult in obs. Time will tell, I guess.
Last night I went to an event for the ACT Medical Women's Society. The restaurant we went to was so posh! I drank guava juice throughout the night -- I'm not too big on the alcohol. And dinner was so good!! The dessert was a mango brulee with strawberry sorbet. I haven't eaten so well in a long time!
The evening was really good. There were 5 women who spoke about medicine and/in their life. These women were all at different stages in their careers -- two were even students. One of the students volunteered in the tsunami efforts in Thailand, and was involved in the DNA identification team, by cutting a 7cm section of ribs from corpses to be sent to the US for DNA sequencing. How incredible is that?
One of the women at my table is the head of Emergency at one of the hospitals here. It was really great to see what women were achieving. Balancing their lives with their careers. Pursuing their dreams. Whatever! It was just really encouraging to know that it's do-able.
Oh! I'm going to be doing a dragonboat thing here this weekend. There's only one practice session, which is for insurance purposes, and the race is this Sunday. It's probably going to be crap, but I can't wait to get out on the water again. I only hope the weather will be nice.
Anyoo, better get some homework done. Take care!!

1 Comments:
Excellent. I'm going to tell myself that I single-handedly convinced you to blog more. Keep it up! Now I'm beginning to have some idea of your life down under! :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home